9.29.2012

Canned Tomatoes

Tomatoes are a staple in my house in all varieties. They are very versatile and can be used for several different recipes - pasta sauce, pizza sauce, soups, stews, etc. For a simple stew recipe using canned tomatoes, see my previous post.
Tomatoes are very good for you and although technically are a fruit, the body digests them like a vegetable and they are considered to be in the vegetable group.  


The past few weeks at the market, salad tomatoes have been on sale for 4 lbs / $1 - which is a great deal. Although I wish I could buy enough to have fresh tomatoes all year, they would of course spoil. So, the next best thing is to have canned tomatoes that can be enjoyed all year. 

Canning tomatoes is a new endeavor for me, but it does not seem that complicated. For those of you who are avid canners, I am sure you have some tips of advice to offer.

I did discover a wonderful tutorial on YouTube that is done by Ball Canning. Click here for the video -
Canning Tomatoes by Ball Canning. You can also visit their website - Fresh Preserving for recipes and additional information.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I nominated you for the Leibster Award. Check out my blog to learn more about it!

    ReplyDelete